Review Holy Stone F181C RC Quadcopter Drone with HD Camera
The F181 drone by Holy Stone toy company is a small and versatile entry-level quadcopter that’s great for beginners and priced accordingly at around $110. Despite its lowish price it is actually a well-rounded package that includes a few extras not normally seen at this price point (more on that below). It also has enough advanced features to allow it to appeal to both novice and advanced users, giving it a distinct advantage over other drones at this price range.
Since the F181 is only about 5oz (0.3lbs) and around 12.5″ measured diagonally, it falls under the FAA’s UAS (Unmanned Aircraft System) registration weight limit of .55lbs, so you can start flying without contacting the Feds. The F181 is black, which allows it to visually stand out when compared to the mostly white drones in this price range. It sports two pairs of LEDs underneath its prop extensions, with red indicating the rear and blue the front. The LEDs can also be shut off using the left trigger button on the remote, but I wouldn’t recommend doing this since they help with overall visibility. Flight time is about 6 to 8 minutes and it takes about 75 to 80 minutes to charge one of the two included batteries.
One of the great upcoming contributors on the drone market is, of course, the Holy Stone Company from China. For instance, the Holy Stone F181 drone – a product that was released about a year ago –is quite a popular device (worldwide). Actually, this is the product that presented the Holy Stone Company to the western market.
While it is true that the drone’s competitive pricing (about $100) has played a great role in its sales, the key aspect to the drone’s growing popularity however, can be linked to the drone’s unmatched capabilities and its portability.
This drone surely does have a special charming attraction to many drone hobbyists and even photographers, which is why we decided to examine and bring out the finest details of the F181.
Like other products sold in the U.S. by Holy Stone, the F181C is actually from a company known as DFD. It doesn’t really matter, since Holy Stone is actually bringing in brands from all over and unifying them under one name. This makes sense in order to build a brand identity, but it also means that if the model numbers are obviously different, then two Holy Stone drones don’t necessarily have any relation to each other.
The F181C is yet another member Holy Stone has brought into the fold. It’s reasonably priced, but is it worth the dough or just a deflated souffle?
The Holy Stone F181 quadcopter is a dynamic little quadcopter that every owner would be proud to add to his arsenal. New pilots would want to know how best to use it. If you are an F181 user, Quadcopter Arena has helpful advice for you. There is also a handy manual for you to download.
You would enjoy the device’s one-key, Headless Security feature, which prevents it from flying off course. The altitude hold function, which enables it to hover in place, is another feature that you would love. What you would relish is that this drone can flip, at 360 degrees, in four ways. It can remain in the air for a relatively long 10 minutes, thanks to its bonus batteries.
- Equiped With A Key Return & HEADLESS SECURITY SYSTEM
- 4 Channel Transmitter
- A Key 360° 4-Ways Flip(left,right,forward,backward), Continuous Roll For Perfect Action And Wonderful Performance
- Remote Control Battery: 3.7 V 750 mAh, Control Mode: 2.4GHZ
- Range: About 50-100 Meters.
- Battery Run Time: About 7-9 Minutes.
- Charging Time: : About 80 Minutes
- Flight time : 8 minutes
- Battery type : 3.7 V 750 mAh
- Camera : 2 MP
- One key return, headless mode, LED lights
What’s in the box?
- F181 drone with 6 axis gyroscope stabilization.
- 2MP (1280 x 720), 720p; still/video camera.
- 4GB micro SD card and USB reader.
- Prop guards and landing gear (not installed).
- 3.7v 750mA battery installed under the camera.
- 2.4Ghz remote control with two control sticks and LCD info screen; it runs on 4 AA batteries (not included).
- Complete set of extra propellers.
- Small Phillips screwdriver for installing prop guards and
- landing gear
- Extra (yes, extra!) 3.7v 750mA battery.
- Two (2) USB charging cables.
- Extra set of screws and gears for motors.
Let’s take a look at some advantages and disadvantages of this drone:
- Affordable drone with above average flight time and control distance for it’s price range.
- Built of ABS elastic plastic that should not break if you crash it from low/medium altitude.
- Camera is handy and extra battery in package is always a plus.
Camera doesn’t have FPV. Which means you’re not able to see live feed from camera on your controller or smartphone app. This isn’t reason not to buy this drone in my opinion.
Overall, F181 is great choice for all you who are just getting into world of drones or buying it as a gift for someone else. It’s easy to use and thanks to blade protectors you should be able to fly it indoor during winter.